District stays with current trash collector
Northern Lehigh School District has agreed to re-up with its current trash removal and recycling collection provider.
The school board unanimously agreed on Monday to award a five-year agreement to Waste Management. The district's prior contract with Waste Management is set to expire June 30.
The agreement will cost the district $25,764 in the 2010-11 school year; $$25,764 in 2011-12; $26,280 in 2012-13; $26,280 in 2013-14; and $26,664 in 2014-15.
Also on Monday, the board unanimously agreed to award bids for unleaded gasoline to Farm and Home at a fixed price of 0.32 cents per gallon; #2 grade fuel oil tankwagon delivery to Farm and Home at a fixed price of 0.29 cents per gallon; #2 grade fuel oil transport delivery to Petroleum Traders at a fixed rate of 0.0744 cents; and diesel fuel to Petroleum Traders at a fixed price of 0.0894 cents per gallon (normal blend) and a fixed price of 0.015 per gallon (70-percent/30-percent blend).
The bids are for the contract period of July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011.
In other business, the board:
- Accepted the state contract pricing for high school auditorium lighting equipment from Lehigh Electric Products Co. at a cost of $16,500.
- Accepted the state contract pricing for the purchasing of carpet for the high school auditorium from Shaw Integrated Solutions at a cost of $12,904. The pricing also includes removal of old carpeting and installation of new carpeting.
- Accepted the proposal for installation of a well pump at Peters Elementary School from Bellview Pump at a cost of $8,546.
- Accepted the bid quote for installation of high school auditorium lighting equipment from Albarrell Electric Inc., at a cost of $3,690.
- Accepted the resignation of Christopher Jones, high school Math teacher, effective the end of the work day May 28, 2010.
- Approved the administrative transfer of Juliann Christman from high school middle shift custodian to Slatington Elementary School middle shift custodian, replacing Maryann Lucykanish, who retired, at a salary of $10.68 (no change in salary), effective May 11, 2010.
- Approved the administrative transfer of Rebecca Herring from Slatington Elementary cook's helper to high school middle shift custodian, replacing Christman, who was administratively transferred, at a salary of $8.25 per hour, Tuesday through Friday from 2:30-11 p.m., and Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (starting custodial salary per the 2009-10 NLESP Contract), effective May 11, 2010.
- Accepted the resignation of Gloria Kern from her position as a high school special education aide, effective April 20, 2010, due to health reasons.
- Approved budgetary transfers for the 2009-10 school year, including any budgetary transfers for the end of year audit.
- Authorized administration to sign and enter into an agreement to purchase electricity for the district, in the event that time does not allow for a board meeting to take place.
- Approved to appoint Sweet, Stevens, Williams & Katz, LLP, as special counsel for the 2010-11 school year. The hourly rate for nonroutine matters will be $185 per hour. The rate for routine or general advice will be $140 per hour. These rates reflect a $10 increase over last year's rates.
- Approved the co-payment amount for student athletes receiving a sports physical from OAA during the 2010-11 school year at a cost of $5 per student, in accordance with school board policy #122.
- Approved the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule for the 2010-11 school year as presented.
- Approved the request of employee #3365 to take a family medical leave for the first semester of the 2010-11 school year. She will be using a portion of her accumulated sick and personal days in conjunction with the family medical leave. Upon exhaustion of her family medical leave, she is requesting an unpaid leave of absence for the remainder of the first semester. Her intention is to return to her current teaching position on Jan. 27, 2011.
- Approved the request of employee #0021 to take a family medical leave beginning Aug. 30, 2010. She will be using a portion of her accumulated sick and personal days in conjunction with the family medical leave. Her intention is to return to her current teaching position on Oct. 11, 2010.
- Approved the request of employee #2540 to take an unpaid leave of absence beginning on June 14, 2010. She is currently out of work on a family medical leave, which ends on June 13, 2010. She plans to return to her current teaching position on Aug. 30, 2010, the first day of the 2010-11 school year.
- Approved the request of employee #3590 to take a family medical leave of absence beginning on May 18, 2010. He plans to use accumulated sick days while on leave, and will return to his current teaching position upon release from his physician.
- Approved Donna Lobach-Berger, elementary, and Justin Tafel, social studies, as substitute teachers for the 2009-10 school year at the 2009-10 substitute teacher rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule. Tafel's appointment is pending verification of missing documents.
- Approved Brian Dolena as a game worker for the 2009-10 school year, pending verification of missing documents. Game workers consist of ticket sellers and takers, game announcers, scoreboard operators, timers, field judges, and scorekeepers. The rate of pay is consistent with the rates approved on the 2009-10 supplementary personnel salary schedule.
- Granted permission to Thomas Mertus to attend the Assuring Academic Achievement for English Language Learners conference June 21-22 in Harrisburg, Pa. The cost of registration is $60; travel, $51.60; lodging, $139; for a total approximate cost of about $251, to be funded through Title III.
- Granted permission to Paul Rearden to attend the Best Practices in Early Childhood Education conference July 28-29 at State College, Pa. The cost of travel is $180; meals, $100; lodging, $198; for a total approximate cost of about $478, to be funded through the Peters Elementary School budget.
- Approved a field trip request for the high school Honors Biology I class to attend the Philadelphia Zoo, Philadelphia, Pa, June 3, to be funded by students and the high school budget.
- Approved new school board policy #808, Operations, Food Service, as presented after the first reading.
- Approved school board policy #808.1, Operations, Free/Reduced-Price Meals and Free Milk, as presented after first reading.
- Approved proper officials to enter into an agreement between the district and the PATH Pa Treatment & Healing Center for the purpose of furnishing educational services for disruptive students for the 2010-11 school year.
- Authorized the donation of the green house, currently located in the courtyard at Slatington Elementary to Debra Siglin, 5th grade teacher.
- Appointed Director Donald Dengler to a term of the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit board of directors, from July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2013.
- Elected Director Donna Kulp as treasurer for the 2010-11 fiscal year, effective July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2011.