Newkirk Tunnel entrance
ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS
Pictured is the Newkirk Tunnel entrance in Walker Township, Tamaqua. This coal mine tunnel was first driven in 1868 to a depth of 505 feet into Sharp Mountain. Owned by the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company since 1875, the tunnel was expanded during the 1940's to a depth of 2,211 feet and mined 1,800 feet and 7,200 feet west of the site. A cleaning plant and railroad loading facilities were located just outside the tunnel.