Farmer's Market Nutrition Program to be offered to Carbon County seniors
The Senior Farmer's Market Nutrition Program will be offered again this year to eligible Carbon County senior citizens.
This program, which benefits both senior citizens and local farmers, is made possible through the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. The Carbon County Area Agency on Aging will be conducting the distribution which provides $20 in vouchers to be used to purchase Pennsylvania grown fruits and vegetables at most farmer's markets.
Carbon County residents age 60 and older with household incomes of no more than $20,036 for single and $26,955 per couple are eligible. These income guidelines are subject to change pending the release of new federal guidelines which may take place during the distribution period.
Proof of age and residency is required by showing a driver's license or photo identification. A person may only receive vouchers one time per season. Vouchers cannot be mailed.
If anyone is unable to go to a distribution site, someone may pick up the vouchers for them, but they must have a signed proxy form in order to do this. This procedure also applies to a spouse picking up for the other spouse.
The proxy form can be obtained at any of the five senior centers or by contacting the Agency on Aging at 800-441-1315. The distribution schedule is as follows. All times for distribution are from noon to 2 p.m.
• Tuesday, June 8, Weatherly Senior Center, 335 Third St., Weatherly.
• Wednesday, June 9, Panther Valley Senior Center, 90 E. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning.
• Thursday, June 10, Lehighton Senior Center, 243 S. Eighth St., Lehighton.
• Friday, June 11, Palmerton Senior Center, 501 Delaware Ave., Palmerton
• Tuesday, June 15, Jim Thorpe/Penn Kidder Senior Center, Bear Creek Plaza, Route 903, Jim Thorpe.
• Wednesday, June 16, Weatherly Senior Center.
• Thursday, June 17, Panther Valley Senior Center.
• Friday, June 18, Lehighton Senior Center.
• Monday, June 21, Palmerton Senior Center.
• Tuesday, June 22, Jim Thorpe/Penn Kidder Senior Center.