Lehighton celebration has parade, fireworks, concerts on Sat. & Sun.
Carnival rides, fireworks, concerts, a parade, a poker run, and an "Amazing Lehighton Race" all are part of the first Independence Day Celebration of the Lehighton Downtown Improvement Committee this weekend.
The parade will leave Lehighton Borough Hall at 1 p.m. Sunday.
The carnival will be at Baer Memorial Park following the parade.
There will be a concert by Lehighton Band in the Lehighton Park Amphiteater at 7 p.m. Saturday.
One of the special events will be a dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence. This will occur at 9:45 p.m. at Baer Memorial Park.
Country singer Donna Parsons will perform at 7:15 p.m. Sunday at Baer Memorial Park, with an admission fee charged for this event.
John Wagner, Lehighton Borough Manager, said, "Our Independence Day festivities are designed to be wholly family-friendly, and to truly recall the reason why our nation celebrates its independence. It is our aim to bring the pride of the red, white, and blue back to the southern Carbon County area."
Orpha Snyder, president of the LDIC, said funds raised from this event will be utilized to implement the Downtown Revitalization Study, which which the borough has recently received partial funding through a Department of Community and Economic Development grant.
She added, "As local merchants and residents, our desire is to see the Lehighton downtown area thrive again."
Wagner said all activities, with the exception of Saturday night's Lehighton Band concert at the ampheatre, will be held in the Baer Memorial Pool/Park complex.
Parking will be at the Lehighton Area School District parking facilities. Wagner said, "It truly is a short walk from the school district property, along the grassed area by the armory, to Baer Memorial."
The events are as follows:
• Contest all day at the Baer Memorial Pool.
• Motorcycle Poker Run. Open registration from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lehighton Bike Shop.
• Cruise by Jukebox Cruisers classic car club from 2-5 p.m. Deejay music from noon to 6 p.m.
• Concert by the Lehighton Band at 7 p.m. in the Lehighton Park Ampheater.
• Parade leaving Lehighton Borough Hall at 1 p.m. Grand marshalls are Major General Marvin J. "Jay" Barry and Christine Barry.
• Contests throughout the day at Lehighton Pool.
• Carnival rides at Baer Memorial Park.
• Concert by Donna Parsons at 7 p.m. An admission fee is charged.
• 9:45 p.m. - Dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence.
• 9:55 p.m. - Duet of "God Bless America" performed by Donna Parson and Miss Riley Durishin.
• 10 p.m. - Fireworks.
• 10:20 p.m. - Closing concert by Donna Parsons.