Nesquehoning police report
Nesquehoning Chief of Police Sean Smith has reported on numerous incidents which have occurred in the borough.
A burglary was reported on Jan. 5 at the residence of Gene Rutch, 150 E. Columbus Ave. Stolen were approximately 10 packs of cigarettes. Anyone with information should contact the Nesquehoning Police Department at 570-669-9111.
Kaela M. Cusanelli of 726 Claremont Ave., Tamaqua, was charged with driving while under the influence (DUI) of alcohol, driving vehicle at safe speed, turning movements, and required signal. The arrest stems from a traffic stop on SR54 by Officer Carl Breiner on Dec. 26. The BAC of Cusanelli reportedly was .15 percent.
Paul Francis Gavornik, 820 Center St., Jim Thorpe, was charged with two counts of DUI, careless driving, and driving on roadways laned for traffic. His BAC was reportedly .24 percent. He was charged following a traffic stop on SR93 on Oct. 10.
Valerie T. Gray, 17 W. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning, was charged by officer Breiner with persistent disorderly conduct and public drunkeness as a result of a disturbance at 10 E. Catawissa St. on Nov. 15. Police said the disturbance occurred at about 4:34 a.m. Gray allegedly was intoxicated and was outside yelling and cursing, resulting in the arrest.
Joseph Loprete, 206 Yard St., Nesquehoning, was charged by officer Breiner with possession of drug paraphernalia, careless driving, tire equipment, and traction surfaces. Police said Loprette was stopped on Nov. 22 on SR54 by Hauto Estates when he was observed driving on a flat tire. Police said they seized a pipe/bowl with burn marijuana resin, three plastic baggies, and a roach clip from Loprete.
Officer Wuttke handled a theft of registration plates at Elk Lighting on Jan. 14. Elk Lighting reported that two state registration plates were stolen. They are YTZ4417 and YNA8088. Anyone with information is asked to call the police.
Wuttke handed a one-vehicle accident that occurred on SR54 in the "S" turns on Jan. 12. Police said Jeffrey Beers, 833 E. Princeton Ave., Palmerton, lost control of his 1997 white Honda Civic and struck an embankment. He was cited for driving vehicle at a safe speed. No injuries occurred in the accident.
• Smith filed charges against Rhonda McFarland, 339 W. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning. McFarland allegedly attempted to steal $50 from her employer, Top Star Gas Station, Stock Street. It is alleged she attempted the theft by taking the money and concealing it within the store on Dec. 15. She is charged with criminal attempt, theft by unlawful taking, and criminal attempt.
• Kaielyn McFarland, 14 E. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning, was charged by Smith with assaulting her boyfriend, Robert Shafer, of the same address. It was alleged that on Dec. 30 she assaulted Shafer and then fled the scene. She was arraigned before District Judge Casimir Kosciolek, of Lansford, on Dec. 30.
• Smith filed charges against Lorene Marie Rice and her boyfriend, Bradley Allen Scott, of 612 Apple St., Bowmanstown, charging them with two counts of criminal conspiracy and also of receiving stolen property. Allegedly the duo went to the CVS Pharmacy in Nesquehoning where the store refused to fill a prescription for oxycodone for Rice. Scott then began harassing the pharmacist, said police.
Rice was allegedly seen attempting to conceal scented candles in a Christmas bag in the store. Employees also allegedly observed Rice take a hair dryer out of a box and conceal it in a Christmas holiday bag.
Scott, according to police, attempted to steal expensive cologne and batteries.
The suspects were reportedly in a vehicle stopped in Lehighton by Lehighton police, Franklin Township police, Mahoning Township police, and state police.
Police said the stolen items were recovered.
• Shauntay Armstead, 120 E. Birch St., Hazleton, was charged by Officer Wuttke with driving while under suspension and a stop sign violation. The alleged incidents happened on Jan. 16.
• Smith filed charges against Brian Kehl, Carbon County Correctional Facility, for an alleged assault that occurred Jan. 2. Inmate Andrew Tyahla Sr. reported that Kehl assaulted him in his cell because Kehl believed that Tyahla was an informant for the correctional officers. Kehl was charged with two counts of simple assault and one count of harassment.
• Wuttke issued traffic citations for the following violations on Jan. 16: One way raodway violation - vehicle driving the wrong way on a one-way road at Ratcliff and SR209; speeding, 56.8 in a 40 zone on SR54 on Jan. 16; expired inspection on Jan. 9 on SR209, and speeding, 66.4 in a 40 zone, on Jan. 9.
• Rhonda McFarland, 339 W. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning, was issued a citation on Jan. 16 for driving while under suspension on SR209.
• Gregory Macalush Jr., 71 W. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning, was cited on Jan. 16 for drivers required to be licensed. Wuttke was the officer who issued the citation.
• Officer Brian White was issued two citations on Jan. 15 for stop sign violations and expired inspections.