History in the ticking
LINDA KOEHLER/TIMES NEWS
The Bradford Clock that the Horsehead Corporation donated to the Palmerton Area Historical Society (PAHS) in November 2009 has been hung on the wall at its new home at the Palmerton Area Heritage Center at 410 Delaware Ave., Palmerton. The clock had been made for the Standard's Room in the Central Lab of the New Jersey Zinc Co. in 1917. It was built to run on a DC battery but has a pedulum, a very unusual combination. It operated the noon and 4:30 p.m. whistle. It was tied into all the other clocks in the company and was accurate to within one second. Later it was converted to electric power. This handsome new addition is now telling people it's time to come to the Heritage Center and learn more about Palmerton's history. Some of the people involved in the process of acquiring the clock are, left to right: John Aulenback, a PAHS member, Robert Kuba, Horsehead Corporation consultant, Betsy Burnhauser, PAHS secretary, Jane Borbe, PAHS vice president, George Ashman, PAHS member and Peter Kern, President of the Palmerton Chamber of Commerce and Palmerton Area Historical Society Business Manager.