Council member's brother to help with grant applications
The brother of Coaldale's newest council member is poised to bring much-needed money into the borough by way of grants.
Council on Tuesday agreed to have Daniel Yelito of Tamaqua, brother of Councilman David Yelito, write grant applications at no cost to the borough.
Yelito would take a percentage of each grant received. The amount would vary, depending on the terms of the grant, said solicitor Michael Greek.
Yelito comes well-qualified. He's worked for eight years for the Private Industrial Council of the Lehigh Valley. He has a background in planning and transportation, and works with the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission.
Mayor Corkery suggested having Yelito write grants for the borough with the hope of obtaining money to fix Coaldale's streets.
The subject rose after resident Garth Jones complained about the condition of West Moser Avenue, which he said is in terrible condition. Council agreed most of the streets are in dire need of repair.
Councilman Joseph Hnat also said he hopes Yelito can bring in grant money to further upgrade the Coaldale Complex, which houses the Carbon County Head Start program.
In other matters, Council discussed the possibility of posting weight restriction signs at all intersections in an effort to stop people from parking tractor trailers, large trailers and similar vehicles on borough streets.
The big rigs block views of oncoming traffic and are hard on the already-deteriorating streets.
In another streets matter, council warned people to move their basketball backboards away from the street. A borough snow plowing truck was recently damaged by hitting one of the backboards, which had been placed too close to the street.
Police will give residents a verbal warning. If the offending equipment isn't moved, it will be removed by the borough.
In other matters Tuesday, Councilman Tom Keerans thanked police officers Scott Cramer, Keith Kropp and Charles Blesse for helping the victims of a Christmas Eve house fire in Tamaqua. The blaze, on Washington Street, destroyed the home, killed pets and left the Valentine family, which has eight children, with nothing.