Contract in place for human resources head
A contract is in place for Palmerton Area School District's director of human resources.
The school board unanimously agreed on Tuesday to approve a contract for Debra Demyanovich, who was hired by the board last month.
Demyanovich was appointed to the newly-created position at a prorated salary of $45,500, effective Feb. 8.
Previously, Demyanovich served as secretary to the director of human resources in the Northwestern Lehigh School District.
Also on Tuesday, the board approved a memo of understanding to remove the position of director of district services from the Act 93 contract.
Last month, the board agreed to abolish the position, which had been held by Gary Snyder.
In October, the board agreed to accept the resignation of Snyder, effective Sept. 29. Snyder was charged in September with the sexual assault of a boy.
Snyder's pay was discontinued after the board suspended him without pay in July. He has been placed on a paid leave of absence by the district in April.
In other business, the board:
• Approved expenses of $323 for Demyanovich to attend the PASPA Human Resource conference at Hershey from Feb. 24-26, along with the $375 conference cost, previously approved at the January school board meeting, all to be paid out of the Accountability Block Grant.
• Appointed Gorman & Associates, P.C. to audit the school district records for the 2009-10 school year at a base fee of $20,100; single audit, $2,425; hourly rate for additional services, $72; and AFR, $850.
• Acknowledged reductions in the 2009-10 EAP ($4,047), Title I ($3,428), and Title I Stimulus ($1,838) grant funding.
• Hired Ian Klansek as secondary physics teacher, effective Feb. 17, 2010, at a salary of $37,320, prorated. His salary is based on the current negotiated contract.
• Approved Robert Palazzo to attend the PDE Annual 2010 Making a Difference: Educational Practices That Work conference at Hershey from April 6-9 at a cost of $767.70, to be paid out of IDEA funds.
• Approved an unpaid leave request for Brian Versuk from approx. Feb. 15 through March 19.
• Approved the field trip for the National Junior Honor Society to attend the Broadway Show "Mamma Mia" on Wednesday, May 19, at no cost to the district.
• Approved the salary adjustments of Jeremy Coleman and Jaclyn Ivancich from Bachelor's plus 24 to Master's, effective the second semester of the 2009-10 school year.
• Approved the salary adjustment of Carol Andrews from Master's plus 30 to Master's plus 45 effective the second semester of the 2009-10 school year.
• Exonerated current tax collectors Maria Smith, Bowmanstown Borough, $1,800; Connie Brown, Lower Towamensing Township, $4,520; Diane Andreas, Palmerton Borough, $7,170; and Mary Beers, Towamensing Township, $5,340, from the collection of the 2009-10 delinquent per capita taxes, effective Jan. 1, 2010.
• Approved several tax exoneration lists.
• Appointed Berkheimer Associates, Bangor, as the delinquent tax collector of the 2009-10 per capita taxes, effective Jan. 1, 2010. There is no fee assessed to the district for this service, as the fees are assessed to the taxpayer.
• Approved several support union clarification agreements.
• Approved several tuition reimbursements.