Roof damage found in Tamaqua building
DONALD R. SERFASS/TIMES NEWS A partial collapse of the roof at the former Eames Bakery building in Tamaqua can be seen in this photo taken from Lincoln Street.
Fire and health officials were summoned by county emergency dispatchers to the site of the former Eames Bakery building, Washington and Elm streets, Tamaqua, last Saturday evening for a report of a roof collapse or partial collapse.
Responders found that a few sections of the roof along the western end of the structure had failed. The large, three-story building borders Washington, Elm and North Railroad streets and is owned by Chris Verta, New Ringgold.
Police have deemed the area unsafe and have placed barricades along the sidewalks and parking areas on Elm and Washington streets.
According to records, the building was built in 1900 and served as the W. F. Taubel Hosiery Mills.