Bling in new year with sparkling fashions
It's not New Year's Eve without a little sparkle. Why not bling in the New Year?
Designers are offering glitz and shine at all prices, and you don't have to put the twinkly looks away for next year's party.
"Shimmer never goes out of style it's as classic as lipstick," says Jen Ford, fashion news director for Lucky magazine.
Meredith Paley of the women's fashion chain Talbots agrees.
"Every woman wants a touch of glamour, and holiday is the best time of the year to add sparkles, sequins, gold accents and shimmer," she says.
Here are 11 ways to start the year with a spark:
• Glittery, jewel-encrusted or shimmery shoes are perfect to pump up an evening look, or wear them with toned-down clothes during the day.
• A sparkly tank under a cardigan or jacket provides the perfect "peek-a-boo" fun party look. Gold, silver or black you can't go wrong.
• A jewel-encrusted box purse won't suffer the same wear and tear as your clothes and shoes, and it won't go out of style.
• Pull on a headband adorned with a glittery or sequined flower and you automatically look festive. Or use rhinestone hairpins to keep that updo in place all night.
• Even if your jewelry is conservative every other day of the year, try going bold on New Year's Eve with a pair of sparkly chandelier earrings.
• Like the tank, a cardigan is a great place to wear shimmer and shine. After New Year's, wear it for festive occasions just make sure to keep the sequins in the closet until after 6 p.m.
• Sequins not your style? Shimmery fabrics abound, and designers are creating great pieces in fun colors like orange and cranberry. A pair of fitted, shimmery slacks or a great trench can be worn long after the ball drops on 2010.
• A statement-making necklace or bracelet is a great way to embellish your look. Just remember to let one piece be the standout so you don't look overdone.
• In colors ranging from black to nude peach, a gauzy glitter scarf in a color that complements your skin tone, worn around your neck, will light up your look and flatter your face. Or wear it as a belt for simple elegance.
• Great legs? Show them off with tights that shine. Hosiery maker Hue offers black tights with glitter sprinkled on the legs, which can be paired with a black miniskirt or wool shorts.
• Don't forget your face! New Year's is the perfect time to break out the shimmery eye shadows or mascaras. Or swipe on shimmery bronzer for an all-over glow.