Fire scare at CCTI
LARRY NEFF/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS
Students at the Carbon Career & Technical Institute on West 13th Street in Jim Thorpe were evacuated Tuesday morning after a fire broke out in a unit that collects residue from filters outside the metal shop area. Jim Thorpe Fire Chief William Diehm said maintenance personnel extinguished the fire, but smoke went over the roof and was drawn into the building through ventilation units. Firefighters were called to the school at 8:30 a.m. when smoke began to fill the classrooms. Students were evacuated from the building and then sent home because windows and doors were opened to ventilate the building. Firemen used exhaust fans to remove the smoke from the rooms. The Jim Thorpe Fire Department, Jim Thorpe Police Department, and Lehighton Ambulance responded.