Director of district facilities resigns
Palmerton Area School District is without a director of district facilities.
The school board unanimously agreed on Tuesday to accept the resignation of Dave Rodrigues, effective Dec. 2, 2010.
Resident Josann Harry questioned whether the district had anyone in place to handle the position Rodrigues held.
Superintendent Carol Boyce said the job responsibilities "are being handled by a group of people."
After the meeting, Boyce said the decision by Rodrigues to resign was "all part of a settlement agreement."
"We're not making any comments on either side," Boyce said. "It's a confidential matter, a personnel matter."
Boyce said the district has "parceled out the responsibilities to ensure the functions are being taken care of."
The district would like to have the position filled as soon as possible, Boyce said.
"We will post and advertise," she said. "We will be deliberate to make sure we're doing what we perceive to be the right thing."
Rodrigues was hired as director of district facilities in Aug. of 2008 at a salary of $45,000 under Act 93.
Also on Tuesday, the board agreed to table the contract regarding the interdistrict cooperative busing agreement for nonpublic school children.
Board solicitor David Shulman told the board he, as well as the solicitor's for Lehighton Area School Board and Jim Thorpe Area School Board, would like to get together with their respective business managers to discuss the matter in more detail.
Shulman said the discussion should occur sometime next month, and an agreement could be reached when the board meets in February.
In other business, the board:
- Tentatively approved Mark Weiss as contracted German/ESL teacher at a salary of $48,864, Master's Step 6, prorated, at the high school for the second semester, effective date to be determined.
- Approved the transfer of Adrienne Meckes from high school cafeteria to office manager assigned to the junior/senior high school, effective Jan. 3, 2011.
- Approved the recommendation to appoint Amy Kline as temporary instructional assistant assigned to Towamensing Elementary School, effective Dec. 15, 2010, at the rate of $12 an hour. Compensation may be adjusted at the conclusion of negotiations.
- Approved the recommendation to add Christopher Moses to the substitute custodian list, effective Dec. 15, 2010, at the rate of $8.50 an hour.
- Removed, on an 8-0 vote with one abstention, Ashley Eckhart from the district substitute teacher list, effective Nov. 30, 2010. Director Clarence Myers abstained because Eckhart is his relative.
- Approved "Guest Teacher" Adam Busocker to the district substitute teacher list, effective Dec. 15, 2010.
- Approved the salary adjustments for horizontal movement on the respective salary levels per the teacher's negotiated contract, effective the first day of the second semester of the 2010-11 school year, for Nikolai Millen, from BS to BS + 24, and Bethany Rowland, from BS to BS + 24.
- Approved a five-year service agreement contract with the CLIU#21 MIS Department for PowerSchool pricing at a cost of $12.75 per user per year retroactive to July 1, 2010.
- Approved the request for Robert Palazzo to attend the National Association of School Psychologists Conference at San Francisco, CA, at the cost of $669, to be paid from IDEA funds.
- Approved the disability leave in conjunction with family medical leave beginning Nov. 5, 2010, for employee #7437. The return to work date is to be determined.
- Dismissed employee #1443, effective Dec. 8, 2010.
- Approved Physical Education Grade K-6, and Introduction to Business, as Physical Education Department Curriculum courses.
- Approved district provided email to the school board members for school director business.
- Approved taxpayer #2112556 being allowed to pay the discounted amount of $5,528.82 due to the error of the tax collector not providing the correct amount to the tax service of the taxpayer.
- Approved the first reading of Policy #324, Administration Personnel File Policy.
- Approved the first reading of Policy #424, Professional Personnel File Policy.
- Approved days 86 and 87, currently Jan. 10 and Jan. 11, of the high school calendar as half days for the purpose of first semester final exams.