Mahoning dwelling fire quickly extinguished
Bob Ford/TIMES NEWS Fire damage is obvious to the exterior of the garage area of home at 54 Woodlawn Road, Mahoning Township on Friday morning. Firefighters from three communities responded to the alarm and kept the fire contained to the garage and a crawl space in the home. There were no injuries. The cause of the fire is ruled accidental.
Nobody was injured in a fire that damaged a house in the Mahoning Heights section of Mahoning Township Friday morning.
The blaze occurred at about 9:30 a.m. at the home of Carol Surmaitis, 54 Woodlawn Rd.
Surmaitis and her daughter were home at the time. After smelling smoke, they immediately vacated the premises.
When firefighters reached the scene, heavy smoke was pouring from the garage area of the ranch-style structure.
Mahoning Township Fire Chief Mark Ebbert said fire damage was mainly confined to the garage area and a crawl space. Smoke and water damages were apparent in the remainder of the living quarters.
Volunteer firefighters from Mahoning Township, Lehighton, and Franklin Township responded.
Ebbert said the first truck to arrive on the scene was from the Lehighton Fire Department.
"The crew made a good knock-down," said Ebbert. "It was a good, quick knockdown."
He said that within 20 minutes, the firefighters from the three departments had most of the fire extinguished.
The fire chief praised the response from the three fire departments.
"We had good cooperation from all the departments," he said, adding that the volunteers did an excellent job working together.
Although the exact cause of the fire wasn't determined, Ebbert said he ruled it as "accidental."
"There was not suspicious," he said.
A state police fire marshal was called to the scene and assisted in the investigation.