Skip to main content

Two sentenced to long prison terms

Published October 21. 2009 05:00PM

An Albrightsville man who committed two armed robberies in one day, and an Easton woman who ran a sobriety checkpoint and led police on a high speed chase, were both given long prison terms on Monday in Carbon County court by President Judge Roger N. Nanovic II.

Gun used

David Acevedo, 22, was sentenced to serve 28 to 56 months in prison followed by two years of state probation on two counts of robbery.

Acevedo was arrested for robbing a Lehighton man on a borough street, then several hours later, robbing a Kidder Township business.

Acevedo was arrested by Lehighton police for an incident on June 20 in the 200 block of Iron St. He confronted Vincent McIntosh on the street and demanded money. McIntosh gave him $2 and a pack of cigarettes. Acevedo then asked McIntosh for his wallet, which the victim gave him. After checking the wallet and finding no money he gave the wallet back to the victim and got in a vehicle and fled.

Several hours later Acevedo appeared at Split Rock Lodge in Kidder Township and confronted employees demanding money while brandishing a handgun. He fled the scene in a vehicle with two other suspects.

Township police obtained a description of the vehicle and stopped it a short time later. Acevedo was a passenger in the vehicle and was taken into custody. Found on him was $280 in cash and a handgun.

The other two defendants in the case have charges pending.

Acevedo told Nanovic that he was depressed because of problems he and his wife were having and he had left his job and owed money. He also said he was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the incidents.

Nanovic, however, told Acevedo, You brandished a weapon and put victims in serious harm."

Nanovic added, This is not an isolated incident" noting the robbery in Lehighton earlier in the day.

In addition to the jail term Nanovic ordered Acevedo to make restitution of $157.50, get both a drug and alcohol and mental health evaluations and follow any recommendations for treatment, supply a DNA sample and pay the $250 fee, and have no contact with the victims or co-defendants. He was given credit for 122 days spent in jail to date on the charges and was returned to the county prison.

High speed chase

Tiffiny Mae Redden, 25, of Easton, was sentenced to serve eight months and three days to 24 months in prison followed by three years of probation on several charges including of fleeing or eluding police, driving under the influence (DUI) and three counts of recklessly endangering.

She was arrested on May 24 when she fled a sobriety checkpoint being conducted along Mauch Chunk St., in Mahoning Township. She sped through the checkpoint almost hitting four police officers.

Officers then chased Redden over various township roads and eventually into West Penn Township, Schuylkill County. The high speed chase ended when Redden crashed her vehicle along Golf Road.

At the crash scene police found a crack pipe used to smoke cocaine in the vehicle. Redden refused to submit to any field tests and later refused a blood test.

At the time of the incident Redden had an active warrant for her arrest issued in Lehigh County. She was in prison in that county and was out on work release and failed to return to the jail and was then considered an escapee.

Redden admitted to a long term drug addiction problem that includes the use of crack cocaine and heroin. She is facing an escape charge in Lehigh County.

On the fleeing charge Nanovic sentenced her to serve eight to 16 months in jail. On the DUI count she was sentenced to serve 72 hours to six months in jail, a fine of $1,000 and costs, and one year license suspension. On the reckless counts she was placed on probation for a year on each count with all terms running consecutively. On numerous motor vehicle code summary offenses she was fined a total of $600 and costs.

She was also ordered to get both a D&A and mental health evaluations, zero tolerance on D&A use, and supply a DNA sample and pay the $250 fee. She was given credit for 141 days spent in jail on the charges.

She told Nanovic she will be sentenced on the escape charge in Lehigh County on Nov. 3. She was then returned to the county prison.

Guilty plea

Stephen Inman, 30, of Wilkes-Barre, pleaded guilty to charges of carrying a firearm without a license and DUI.

He was arrested on Sept. 14, 2008, when he entered JT's Pub in Jim Thorpe with a handgun in his wrist band. The pub owner called police voicing concern about a man in the tavern with a gun.

Before police arrived Inman left in a vehicle. Police got a description of the car and it was spotted on SR209 headed towards Nesquehoning. In following the car police notice it cross the center line several times and was operated irratically. Police made a vehicle stop on the top of the Broad Mountain in Nesquehoning.

Inman was the driver and displayed signs of intoxication. A handgun was found on the floor of the car in the front seat area. Inman had no license for the gun and was arrested by Jim Thorpe police for that offense. Nesuqehoning police arrested him for DUI and took him for a blood test that revealed a .30BAC.

Nanovic accepted the plea but deferred sentencing ordering the adult probation office prepare a presentence investigation.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries