Skip to main content

Elderly woman pulled from smoke-filled home in Lansford

  • 20091012-134132-pic-835824341.jpg
    Ron Gower/TIMES NEWS Fire apparatus and volunteers gather in front of the residence of Giselle Pavlick, 307 W. Abbott St., Lansford, on Saturday afternoon when a pan on the stove inside Pavlick's house began burning and filled the home with smoke. Pavlick was rescued from the home by a police officer.
Published October 12. 2009 05:00PM

A Lansford police officer is credited with possibly saving the life of an elderly woman during a fire in her residence late Saturday afternoon.

The woman, 93-year-old Giselle Pavlick, 307 W. Abbott St., Lansford, was reportedly unconscious when found in her home. It was not known if she was overcome by smoke or had a medical condition.

She was transported by ambulance to St. Luke's Miners Memorial Medical Center.

Her condition was not known this morning.

The fire was reportedly minor in nature, but the residence filled with smoke. Fire Chief Joe Cannon said it appears the cause was food burning on the stove.

Among the first emergency responders was Lansford Police Officer Tom Fort.

Fort saw the heavy smoke inside the dwelling. When nobody answered his knock, he kicked-in the front door.

He reportedly found Pavlick on the floor in the kitchen. He took her outside until ambulance crew members arrived.

The fire was contained to the stove.

Responding were members of the Lansford, Summit Hill and Coaldale Fire Departments.

Assistant Fire Chief Ron Hood praised Fort for his efforts.

"He did exactly the right thing," said Hood.

Neighbors said Pavlick is self-sufficient and resides with a son. The son was not home when the fire broke out.

They said Pavlick still drives. In fact, she just recently purchased a new vehicle and at the urging of several people, obtained a handicapped parking space in front of her residence.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries