Skip to main content

Neighbors react to save Summit Hill home from fire

  • andrew leibenguth/special to the times news Fire victim, Brenda Krynock of 251 E. White St, looks over some of the fire damage to her home and back porch.
    andrew leibenguth/special to the times news Fire victim, Brenda Krynock of 251 E. White St, looks over some of the fire damage to her home and back porch.
Published November 30. 2009 05:00PM

A fiery disaster was averted in Summit Hill Sunday evening when surrounding neighbors responded quickly to growing flames shooting from the back porch of their neighbor's home.

The home is owned by Brenda and John Krynock.

Around 4:30 p.m. emergency responders and firefighters arrived at a house fire at 251 E. White Street.

When they arrived, they noticed neighbors with garden hoses diligently spraying the back porch, and other neighbors dousing the siding with water.

The Krynocks weren't home when the fire started. Neighbor Robert Henninger of 252 E. Ludlow St. was the first person to see the shooting flames. He called 911 and quickly alerted fellow neighbors.

Another neighbor, MaryLou Gombert, of 301 E. White St., ran to adjacent homes informing neighbors of the danger and she even escorted a senior couple out of their home.

Other surrounding neighbors then diligently proceeded by using their garden hoses to extinguish the rising flames.

Dennis Gombert of 301 E. White St., responded by stretching his long garden hose from his home over a side street to reach the fire.

Another neighbor, John Horvath Jr. of 245 E. White St., also used his garden hose to help put out the rising flames.

Additional neighbors also helped in similar ways. Despite the fire's dangerous proximity to two propane tanks, the neighbors still managed to bravely stop the swelling fire.

Firefighters and emergency services from Summit Hill and surrounding communities quickly responded and surrounded the area within minutes of the call.

When firefighters arrived, they took control of the scene and continued to dispense water over the area to prevent it from spreading or rekindling.

The Krynocks were returning from a dinner in Hazleton when the fire was discovered. Brenda Krynock said the cause of the fire was probably a $1.75 three-foot extension cord she recently purchased to display holiday lights outside. She also said she'll throw all the other ones she bought that day in the trash.

The damage was limited primarily to the back porch and neighbor's siding, as well as possible water damage.

Brenda and John's two cockatiels were pulled away from the indoor smoke during the incident. No one was noticeably injured.

After the fire was doused, the Krynock's expressed their appreciation to all the heroic neighbors and emergency responders who unselfishly risked their lives and safety to quickly save their home from severe damage.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed


Faith Alive UMC hosts ‘Revival on Purpose!’

40.804927, -75.656958

Faith Alive UMC, 678...

Pumpkin social in Tamaqua

40.7986307, -75.9683447

Zion Lutheran Church...

Feed the People hosts Halloween celebration

40.830215, -75.88356

Feed the People is h...

STEP-Up Tamaqua to meet Monday

40.798347, -75.970851

STEP-Up Tamaqua will...

Reader Photo Galleries