Palmerton students to receive H1N1 vaccine
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Palmerton Area School Board Director Darlene Yeakel was recognized on Tuesday with a certificate from the Pennsylvania School Boards Association for her eight years of service as a school director.
Students in the Palmerton Area School District will still receive the H1N1 vaccination, but exactly when remains to be seen.
Superintendent Carol Boyce announced at Tuesday's school board meeting that a letter and permission slip will be sent home this week for students to receive the vaccination.
The matter was brought forth by resident Bill Strauch, who questioned when the district could expect to receive the shot.
Boyce reiterated that the district has been approved for the vaccination, but won't be able to receive it until it's made available.
The matter took center stage last month after several students were believed to have tested positive for the H1N1 swine flu.
At that time, the board agreed to hold a clinic for inoculations for the swine flu for the entire student body as soon as the vaccine was available.
The vaccines will be administered through the state Department of Health at no cost to the district, Boyce said.
However, she cautioned that the procedure isn't mandatory, and that parents do have the option for their children.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the renewal of insurance policies for $96,753 through Flanigan O'Hara Gentry and Associates effective Nov. 12, 2009.
• Approved the Pennsylvania Department of Education's approval of PlanCon H for Towamensing Elementary School and Palmer Franklin Education Center.
• Agreed to retain Attorney Steven Serfass as solicitor for the school district through Dec. 31, 2009, at the retainer fee of $500 monthly. The hourly rate will be in effect for services above and beyond the retainer; $75 per hour nonlitigation, and $90 per hour for litigation.
• Tabled a proposal for student transportation with George's Transportation for the term beginning July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2014.
• Agreed, effective July 1, 2010, to discontinue non-sponsor share of the tuition for residents of the district who are enrolled in a program that is not offered by Lehigh Carbon Community College.
• Approved the novel, The Kite Runner, as part of the High School Honors World Cultures and/or Honors Modern World History Classes Curriculum.
• Approved the International Travelers Club trip to Europe in June 2011, pending participants signing indemnification and release form.
• Approved the high school wrestling team's trip to the Wrestling Tournament in Florida Dec. 28-29, 2009, at no cost to the district.
• Agreed to hire Beth Brong as substitute nurse, effective Nov. 18, 2009.
• Agreed to hire Lisa Bartel, Michael D. Dee, Jamie R. Farber, Dennis Fetter, Ryan Heaney, Roderick Lowe, Frank J. Parano, David Puckett, Gina Rotondo, Steven Sofranko, Randall Utsch, Patrick Visconti, Betsy Jacobson-Holtz, Patricia Sottolano, and Amy Krall as guest teacher substitutes, effective Nov. 18, 2009; and Jennifer Kline, Adrienne Bonner, Ted Balliet, and Stacy White as substitute teachers, effective Nov. 18, 2009.
• Approved the transfer of Tracy Smith from part-time to full-time secretary at a salary of $26,545 prorated, effective Nov. 18, 2009.
• Approved the salary adjustments of Thomas Morgan from Bachelor's degree to Bachelor's +24 upon the settlement of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the teachers and the district.
• Approved the salary adjustments of Kevin Carroll from Master's to Master's +15 retroactive to the beginning of the second semester of the 2008-09 school year.
• Approved the unpaid leave request for Lindsay Serfass, Dec. 21, 2009 through Feb. 1, 2010.
• Approved the unpaid leave request for Tom Morgan, starting Nov. 20, 2009 through Jan. 14, 2010.
• Approved Sherrie Fenner, director of curriculum and instruction, to attend the Using Standards Aligned Systems Conference Dec. 7 through Dec. 10 2009 at the cost of $249, which will be funded through the Title I grant.
• Approved the first and only reading and adoption of the revision of Policy 008 - Organizational Chart.
• Approved the first reading of the revision of Policy 810.2 - Employee & Volunteer Driver History Records.
• Agreed to delete existing Policy 815 - Computer/Internet Access, effective upon adoption of the Revision of 815.
• Agreed to delete existing Policy 815 - Acceptable Use of Technology.
• Approved the opening of a student activity account by the Towamensing choir director for the purpose of Towamensing chorus activities.
• Approved tuition reimbursements in the amount of $1,071 to Rebecca Sabo, and $261.75 to Megan Zurn.
• Approved the request for homebound instruction for student #11155 for medial reasons, effective Oct. 22, 2009 through Nov. 5, 2009.
• Approved the request for homebound instruction for student #16080 for medical reasons, effective Oct. 22, 2009 through Nov. 19, 2009.
• Approved the request for homebound instruction for student #10046 for medical reasons, effective Aug. 26, 2009 through Oct. 20, 2009.
• Agreed to expel student #11186 on Nov. 5, 2009, and that the student be placed at PA Treatment & Healing in Lehighton for continuation of the educational program.
• Agreed to expel student #12169 on Nov. 5, 2009, and that the student be placed at PA Treatment & Healing in Lehighton for continuation of the educational program.
• Agreed to expel student #12306 on Nov. 5, 2009, and that the student be placed at PA Treatment & Healing in Lehighton for continuation of the educational program.
• Granted approval to advertise for bids for the 2010-11 school year for all sports supplies, janitorial/lighting, general school supplies, and fuel oil.
• Agreed to change the regular board of directors meeting date from Dec. 8, 2009 to Dec. 15, 2009.