Skip to main content

Firefighters save home in Coaldale

  • ANDREW LEIBENGUTH Smoke pours from an upstairs bedroom window in Coaldale Sunday afternoon.
    ANDREW LEIBENGUTH Smoke pours from an upstairs bedroom window in Coaldale Sunday afternoon.
Published December 21. 2009 05:00PM

Coaldale, Lansford, and Tamaqua emergency responders, firefighters and police responded quickly to a house fire located at 122 East Ruddle St. in Coaldale Sunday afternoon.

When they arrived, the home was filled with black smoke. The home was rented by a mother with four children. The names of the family weren't disclosed.

Fire officials stated the fire started accidentally from an electric space heater located in the children's bedroom on the top floor. The mother was at work and the children were being cared for by a babysitter when the fire started. The babysitter smelled smoke and noticed black smoke coming down the steps.

She quickly grabbed all four children, who were with her downstairs, and ran outside, where neighbors called 911.

The fire was quickly put under control by all the fast-acting firefighters. Most of the damage was limited to the top floor.

Neighbors and family stressed their appreciation for all the firefighters who extinguished the blaze so quickly, while also limiting the water-damage done to the home. No one was hurt during the fire.

The adjacent connected property, located at 124 East Ruddle St., also appeared to have minor damage.

The fire victims are staying with family while they wait for repairs to be done by their landlord.

The family is being helped by the Tamaqua Salvation Army. Clothing and new-toy donations can be dropped-off in the Tamaqua Salvation Army building located at 105 West Broad St., Tamaqua. The children's ages are 1, 4, 5, and 8. Monetary donations for the fire victims can made out to "Tamaqua Salvation Army." Put "Dec. 20, 2009 Fire Victims" in the comment line. The Tamaqua Salvation Army's phone number is (570) 668-0410.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries