Skip to main content

‘I didn’t want to stop,’ husband tells police about wife’s stabbing

  • Empty

    Tamaqua police are investigating a stabbing on the 200 block of Lafayette street. The street has been closed to traffic. Ambulances are on scene but have not transported any victim. COPYRIGHT LARRY NEFF/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS

  • Empty

    Robert Bailey

  • Empty

    Diane Bailey

Published November 26. 2017 09:28PM


A domestic dispute in Tamaqua Sunday evening turned deadly, resulting in the death of Diane Marie Bailey, 43, of 235 Lafayette St.

Her husband, Robert B. Bailey, 52, is behind bars in Pottsville, accused in the fatal stabbing.

Tamaqua Police were called to the Bailey home at 7:42 p.m. Sunday for a domestic dispute in progress. They found Diane Bailey lying on the sidewalk, covered in blood. There were numerous stab wounds to her body. Tamaqua Ambulance personnel determined she had no pulse and a coroner was called to the scene.

Witnesses provided officers with information, identifying the husband as the assailant.

He had left the scene, but was found minutes later walking north in the 300 block of Washington Street.

There was blood on his hands and clothing and he clutched a knife in one hand. Bailey dropped the knife and told the officer, “I’m the guy you’re looking for.”

He was taken into custody without incident by West Penn Township patrolman Anthony Houser, who was providing an assist.

Diane Bailey was pronounced dead at 8:30 p.m. by Schuylkill County Deputy Coroner Andrew Szczyglak of Shenandoah. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest in Salisbury Township.

A Pennsylvania State Police forensics unit was called to help process the scene.

After being read his Miranda Rights, Bailey told Tamaqua Police Cpl. Henry Woods the dispute had been building up over time.

He said it was related to his wife’s methamphetamine use and her stealing from people.

He admitted they had been arguing all day, but the situation calmed when she left the house, saying she was staying overnight at a friend’s.

A short time later, Diane Bailey returned to the home, along with two other people.

As he stood on the porch and watched her start climbing the porch steps, Robert Bailey said he pushed her, then followed her down the steps.

He then pulled a knife from his pocket and began repeatedly stabbing her.

“I didn’t hesitate. I didn’t stop. I didn’t want to stop,” he told police.

He continued stabbing her, trying to reach her throat, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

He continued to stab her until she mumbled, “It’s over.”

Bailey went back up on his porch, leaving his dying wife on the sidewalk. When he saw her slump over, bleeding profusely, he entered his home and fled through the back door.

Robert Bailey was arraigned before duty District Magisterial Judge David Platchko on charges of first- and third-degree murder, aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment and possession of instruments of crime.

He was jailed in the Schuylkill County Prison as district magistrates are unable to set bail in homicide cases.



Classified Ads

Event Calendar


July 2019


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed