Smoke from a machine malfunction at the Trans Western Polymers Inc. plant in Hometown resulted in the evacuation of its employees and response of numerous fire departments early this morning. Shortly after 5 a.m., firefighters were called to 31 Progress Ave. (Tidewood East Industrial Park) for a report of a commercial fire. Firefighters arrived to see smoke coming out of the doors of the plant and employees standing outside. Responding were fire companies from Hometown, Tamaqua, Quakake and Ryan Township. Also responding were Rush Township Police, Tamaqua Ambulance, and Hometown and Tamaqua fire police. Hometown Fire Chief Barry Messerschmidt said a malfunctioning machine was the cause and the incident was under control within a short time.