Fire destroyed a mobile home last evening along Cherry Hill Road in Lower Towamensing Township, just south of Parryville's border.
A pet dog perished in the blaze.
The fire happened at about 6:40 p.m. at the home of Susan Dreste, who reportedly lived alone.
Dreste had two pet dogs. Fire officials said she was able to toss one to safety, but the other one died.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the mobile home was fully involved in flames. All of Dreste's possessions were lost in the fire.
Lower Towamensing Fire Chief Bill George said he hadn't determined the cause of the fire, but it appears to be accidental in nature.
The mobile home is owned by Bruce Kuntz of Meadowcrest, Bowmanstown. Kuntz said he recently installed new windows, a new floor, and new bathroom in the dwelling.
Rory Koons, safety officer for Lower Towamensing (Aquashicola) Fire Company, praised the work of the volunteer firefighters who responded. He said there was nothing they could do to save the building but did a great job in knocking down the flames.
At one point, grass next to the mobile home began burning and the fire started to spread. The grass fire was quickly extinguished before doing any damage.
Responding in addition to the Lower Towamensing Fire Department were the Parryville, Bowmanstown, and Franklin Township fire departments.
Lehighton Ambulance crew members also were at the scene.
Traffic control was handled by area fire police.
Firefighters remained at the scene for over two hours.
Part of Cherry Hill Road remained closed for about 1 1/2 hours.