Contractors are about half way done razing the old nurses' residence. The demolition also includes about two thirds of the breezeway that connects the old nurses' residence to the current hospital. The decision was made to raze the structure after an intense investigation into options to save the building. Surviving almost 80 years, the large structure stood to the eastern rear of the present hospital building. It served the hospital from 1934 to 1973. In addition to housing nurses who cared for patients in the original hospital, some of the rooms were utilized as doctors' living quarters. The wing served the hospital in many different capacities over the years, before being vacated in 1973. It was also used as a hospital during the construction of the "new" building in 1973.