Emergency responders were kept busy yesterday as they responded to two house fires in Schuylkill County.

Firefighters were called to the center row homes of West Penn Street in Shenandoah just before 2:30 a.m. after a neighbor reported seeing fire through a second floor window of his home.

Police and firefighters arrived to see flames shooting from the second floor of 634 West Penn Street. Police officers Christopher Zubris and Travis Bowman arrived on scene quickly, but were unable to make entry due to the high heat.

A fire that caused extensive damages to one home and damages to two others in Schuylkill County has been ruled accidental.

State police Fire Marsal Trooper Janssen Herb, Frackville barracks, said the fire occurred at 634 W. Penn St., in Shenandoah.

A neighbor spotted the fire on the second floor of the home. By the time firemen arrived flames were coming out various windows on the second floor.

An investigation revealed the fire started in a front second floor room. The cause was found to be an over-loaded electrical cord which was furnishing power to an air conditioner as well as other electrical items.

The home is owned by John L. Wicker, 53. The house was rented by Magali Serrano, 33, who resided there with three children.

Serrano and the children were not at home at the time fo the fire and no injuries were reported. Two adjoining homes sustained some damages, it was noted.

The blaze was declared under control about 4 a.m. The residence was destroyed by the fire. The home at 636-638 W. Penn Street sustained moderate damage to the roof and floors, while 628, 830 and 632 W. Penn Street, all sustained either smoke or water minor damage.

Additional EMS and fire units were called to the scene for added manpower and rehabilitation due to the heat conditions.

The second fire occurred around 11:30 p.m. Sunday and involved two homes, 421 and 423 Fairview Street, in Pottsville. Pottsville Fire Chief Todd March said the fire started on the first floor of 421 Fairview Street and spread to the ajacent home. He added that 423 was on the borough's blight list and scheduled to be demolished. 421 was unocuppied, while 423 was vacant. Both properties had electricity at the time of the fire.