Get out in that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans, because the 2013 TIMES NEWS Cookbook and Recipe Contest is under way!
This year there will be six categories: Main Dish; Vegetarian; Breads, Biscuits and Muffins; Soups, Stews and Chili; Christmas Cookies; and Dessert. A winner will be chosen in each category, and will be invited to bring their prepared winning dish to the TIMES NEWS office in Mahoning Township, where a panel of judges will sample each dish to determine a grand prize winner.
Every entrant will receive a TIMES NEWS rubber jar opener, shaped like a daisy.
The winner in each category will receive a prize valued at $100. Winners will also be featured in our 26th annual cookbook, Recipes from our Readers, with their recipe, photo, and a brief biography.
The grand prize winner will receive an additional $300 in prizes, including a $200 grocery store gift card and a $100 restaurant gift card.
Get ready to flex your creative muscles, as recipes must be original, and must have been created or modified by the contestant or a member of the contestant's family.
The deadline for recipes is midnight, Sunday, March 10. Category winners will be notified by March 15. The final judging is tentatively set for Monday, March 18.
Mail recipes to: TIMES NEWS, P.O. Box 239, Lehighton, PA 18235; Attention Donna Hall; or email recipes to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
1. Written entries will be judged for completeness, clarity of recipe and originality. In case of duplicate recipe entries, the one with the earliest postmark will be entered.
2. The same recipe may not be entered in more than one category. Categories must be clearly marked on each entry.
3. Recipes must be created or modified by the contestant or a member of the contestant's family. Recipes previously published in a copyrighted publication are not eligible.
4. Only one entry per category will qualify as a winner and only one winner per household.
5. Professional food preparers and/or purveyors are not eligible to enter. Pencor and TIMES NEWS employees and family members are not eligible to win prizes. Advertisers who submit recipes in the name of their business are not eligible for prizes.
6. All recipes become the property of the TIMES NEWS, which reserves the right to publish the entry along with the entrant's identity for prizes.
7. Winners will be notified by phone and all prizes are final. No exchanges or refunds will be made.
8. No purchase is necessary.
9. To enter, each recipe should be neatly printed or typed on an 8 1/2-inch by 11-inch sheet of paper, and must include (on the same sheet of paper) the name, address and phone number of the entrant, as well as the category.
10. Those who have won a prize in the cookbook contest in the last two years are welcome to submit recipes for publication, but are not eligible to win a prize this year.