Northern Lehigh School District will once again provide a preschool program for low income children.
On an 8-0 vote, the school board on Monday agreed to authorize Community Services for Children, of Allentown, to operate the Head Start Pre-K program. Director Natalie Green was absent.
The program, which will run from Sept. 3, 2013, through May 20, 2014, will once again be held at Peters Elementary School. The only obligation of the district is to provide one classroom.
In other business, the board:
- Acknowledged that teachers Lisa Colicigno, from Step 6B to Step 6B+24, and Michael Strohl, from Step 4B to Step 4B+24, have completed the requirements per the Collective Bargaining Agreement that would entitle them to a salary increase for the 2013-14 school year.
- Approved the request of employee #6666 to take a family medical leave beginning on Aug. 19, 2013, for the birth of her first child. The employee will be using five accumulated sick days and three personal days, and upon exhaustion of sick days and personnel days, she is requesting a four-week family medical leave. The employee plans to return to her current teaching position on Sept. 30, 2013.
- Approved the appointment of Joseph Tout as assistant athletic director for the 2013-14 school year at a stipend of $3,500. Tout will assist the athletic director in all athletic director duties and responsibilities, and will be responsible for athletic fundraising activities.
- Approved a stipend in the amount of $500 for Andrew Kern for high school website maintenance, and working with students during the 2013-14 school year. Mr. Kern has constant contact with teachers, secretaries, and administrators in an effort to update the website on a daily basis with the latest information, handouts and scheduled events. The stipend will be funded by the high school student activities fund.
- Approved a stipend in the amount of $1,000 for Kern for maintenance and updates of the district website during the 2013-14 school year. The stipend will be funded from the superintendent's budget.
- Approved a stipend in the amount of $500 for Janet Bashore for maintenance and updates of the Peters Elementary website during the 2013-14 school year. The stipend will be funded by the Peters Elementary principal's discretionary account.
- Approved, on a 7-0 vote, with an abstention from Director Gary Fedorcha, a stipend in the amount of $500 for Kori Dibilio for maintenance and updates of the Slatington Elementary website during the 2013-14 school year. The stipend will be funded by the Slatington Elementary principal's discretionary account.
- Approved to appoint Candice Saville as the administration detention supervisor in the senior high school. Saville will work Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30-4 p.m. throughout the 2013-14 school year that warrants detention coverage. Her salary will be $20 per hour worked.
- Approved to appoint Debra Knerr and Dawn Tulio as administrative detention supervisors in the middle school. Mrs. Knerr will cover the Monday detentions from 2:20-3:20 p.m., and Mrs. Tulio will cover the Wednesday detentions from 2:20-3:20 p.m. They will work throughout the 2013-14 school year on Mondays and Wednesdays that warrant detention coverage. Their salary will be $20 per hour worked.
- Approved to appoint Saville as the secondary Saturday detention monitor for the middle school and senior high school for the 2013-14 school year, working three hours every Saturday that warrants detention coverage. Her salary will be $20 per hour worked.
- Approved to appoint Renee Evans, Patricia Ingles, Patricia Jones, Michael Lehtonen and Ellen Yenser as substitute secondary detention monitors for the senior high school for the 2013-14 school year. Work will be on an as-needed basis, and compensation will be at a salary of $20 per hour worked.
- Approved to appoint Kelly Follweiler, Ingles and Jones as substitute secondary Saturday detention monitors for the middle school and senior high school for the 2013-14 school year, working as a substitute for three hours every Saturday that warrants substitute detention coverage. The salary will be $20 per hour worked.
- Approved "professional employee" status, as per the school code, for teachers Elizabeth Chunko, Lauren Keglovitz, Gina Rotondo, Nicholas Sander, and Lauren Schuster, for having successfully completed three years of service to the district.
- Approved the request of the parents of a first-grade student at Peters Elementary School, and a fourth grade student at Slatington Elementary School, who are moving into Washington Township, to allow their students to begin the 2013-14 school year in the district in accordance with policy #202. The settlement on their house is scheduled for Sept. 3, 2013.
- Approved to authorize the superintendent to execute a letter of agreement for the 2013-14 academic year with the Center for Humanistic Change, Inc., to provide Student Assistance Program Liaison services. The Student Assistance Teams in the district will utilize these services.
- Approved to authorize the superintendent to execute an agreement between the district and the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21 to provide special education services for the 2013-14 school year.
- Approved to authorize proper officials to enter into an agreement between the district and Behavioral Health Associated Licensed Private Academic School for the purpose of furnishing regular education or special education programs for students for the 2013-14 school year.
- Approved Timothy Hauck as helping teacher, at a stipend of $750 for Ashlie Eckert, inductee, in the Northern Lehigh School District Induction Program for the 2013-14 school year.
- Approved the Resolution Supporting Removal of Article XVI-C from the Public School Code of 1949, as presented.
- Approved the request of the senior high school to close the Class of 2013 account in accordance with the Student Activities Account guidelines. The account balance is $492.66, and the Class of 2013 is recommending that the funds be split equally in the amount of $164.22, and transferred to the Class of 2014, Class of 2015 and Class of 2016.
- Approved abatement/ exoneration requests of per capita taxes, for the residents that fall within the guidelines.
- Appointed Sweet, Stevens, Katz & Williams, LLP, as special counsel for the 2013-14 school year for special education consultations, and student services, as outlined in the attached agreement. The cost of these services will be $6,000 for the 2013-14 school year, and is a part of the Special Education budget.