Coaldale's code enforcement officer has resigned.
Jamie Lee Nicholas was hired on Oct. 11, 2011 for the part-time job. he replaced Mark Richards, who had resigned the previous month.
Council President Susan Solt read Nicholas' resignation letter at a public council meeting Tuesday.
In his letter, Nicholas wrote that the job should be full-time, because there are "too many issues" to be handled by a part-time employee. He wrote that he has "lost the interest and drive" required to do the job.
Nicholas has been a lightning rod for complaints about enforcement of code laws.
Council, with Joe Hnat and Steve Tentylo absent, accepted his resignation, but has yet to appoint a replacement.
In other matters Tuesday, a borough firefighter announced that a rumor that the fire company had dumped grease down a drain, clogging a sewer pipe, is not true. Tom Polischak said someone had started the rumor after the pipe, on 6th Street, had become blocked.
The pipe has since been flushed, and the borough is in touch with its insurance carrier.
Councilman Thomas Keerans said he understood that it was a lateral line, not the trunk line, that had been blocked.
Brian Hay, of 272 6th St., said it was his lateral line, but that the blockage was in the trunk line. He, too, has been in contact with his insurer.
Also on Tuesday, council agreed to hire a former borough worker, Brian Erbe, for up to 32 hours a week, on an as-needed basis. However, council rescinded that motion after an executive session.
Council also heard from former Mayor Claire Remington, who wants council to change its rules governing when people can put their trash cans out for collections.
Currently, cans may be put out 24 hours in advance of collection day. Remington would like to see that changed to "not before 8 p.m." the day before collection days.
She said the cans and bags are eyesores, and with the warmer weather, will draw flies and other insects.
Solt said the request would be discussed in a committee meeting.
Council also opened bids for mowing the borough's four properties, but tabled action pending further study of costs. It did, however, approve the purchase of two mowers at $498.
Council also approved repairs to three sewer inlets, one at Seventh Street and Early Avenue, and two on Phillips Street, at $3,320 each. The money will be drawn from the borough's sewer transmission account.
Also, Fire Chief Richard Marek reminded residents that Schuylkill County has imposed a burn ban through May 5. That means absolutely no outdoor burning, whether it be trash, fire pits, or any other use.
"You are not allowed to burn, period," he said. "A burn ban means exactly that: No burning."
in other matters, council reminded residents that Thursday, may 2, is borough clean up day. Trash collectors will pick up any discards, except electronics.