A Jim Thorpe man was allegedly caught in act of attempting to break into a medical building in the borough, Thursday morning.

James Schweibinz, 58, of North Street, Jim Thorpe, was reportedly trying to enter Carbon Medical Associates, 1122 North Street, Jim Thorpe, when a doctor who works there came upon the scene and called police.

When the police arrived, Schweibinz physically struggled with the arresting officer, according to court records.

Schweibinz has been charged with criminal attempt-burglary, resisting arrest, simple assault, and criminal mischief.

He was arraigned before District Judge Edward Lewis of Jim Thorpe, then was released on $25,000 unsecured bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Oct. 31.

The arresting officer is Chief Joseph Schatz of the Jim Thorpe Police Department.

The incident happened at about 8:30 a.m.

According to the affidavit filed by Chief Schatz, Dr. Nicholas Varvarelis arrived at the building and noticed a male at the dock door with a screw driver in his hand, working on the dead bolt.

Dr. Varvarelis told police he said "good morning" to the individual, and that the male then sat down on the stairs. The physician then went inside and called police, the court paper says.

Schatz said he responded to the scene and saw Schweibinz walking down the dock steps.

The chief states in the affidavit, "I approached the defendant and asked what he was doing there. After a brief conversation with the defendant, he stated that he was attempting to break into the building. I advised the defendant that he was under arrest."

Chief Schatz says in his report, "As I went to place handcuffs on the defendant, he began to resist stating that he was leaving and did not want handcuffs on his hands. Myself and the defendant then went to the ground and I continued to advise the defendant to comply. The defendant continued to resist to the point that I had to call for back-up.""

It continues, "I was able to place one handcuff on his left wrist at which time he pushed me, causing me to lunge forward and to lose my balance. I was able to regain control of the defendant and kept advising the defendant to comply, but he would not."

The police chief states he used "the necessary force to effect the arrest."