A Christmas tree was ruled the cause of a house fire that gutted a Shenandoah (West Mahanoy Township) home Wednesday afternoon.

Al Miscannon, William Penn fire Chief, said officials determined the fire at 1200 West Coal Street was an accident, but haven't isolated an exact cause of the blaze, which started in the tree.

He added that there are two possible causes, by Christmas lights that were turned on or by radiant heat due to the tree's close proximity to a coal burner.

Left homeless from the fire were Freddie Morales, Maria Colon, an 11 year old girl and two boys, ages 14 and 8.

One cat died in the fire, while other pets escaped outside. No injuries were reported.

All the presents were destroyed in the fire. The family was offered assistance by the American Red Cross and Pottsville Salvation Army.