A firefighter was injured Wednesday battling a stubborn fire which began as a chimney fire at a home along Chapel Drive in Mahoning Township.

The fire was reported at 11:15 a.m. in a dwelling along the 400 block and when Mahoning police arrived on scene, they reported smoke showing.

Fire companies from Mahoning, West Penn and Franklin townships, as well as Lehighton, responded to the scene.

Mahoning police arrived on scene to find the residents had escaped unharmed, according to a press release from Mahoning Officer In Charge Audie Mertz.

The fire had its start in a chimney servicing a wood-burning stove on the first floor and was spreading into a wood-framed wall.

The stove's chimney became blocked causing the fire.

While firefighters were battling the fire on the second floor, a firefighter from the Lehighton Fire Department suffered a leg injury.

He was transported for treatment by Mahoning Valley Ambulance. His condition is unknown.

The scene is just a short distance from the Normal Square intersection.