Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church on High Street in Nesquehoning, built in 1887, is being demolished. The land will be sold when everything has been removed. Workers started tearing down the building at the back of the church, and will continue until the last fragment is taken away for recycling. Former parishioners are sad to see the church go, but have many fond memories of their days at the church. The late Rev. Paul Welkie, who was pastor in 1975, renovated the church. It was closed in 2008 when it merged to create St. Francis of Assisi Parish. The new pastor is the Rev. Francis Schoenauer.