A malfunctioning furnace in a Tamaqua residence was determined to be the reason for a call to Tamaqua firefighters Saturday morning.

Departments in Tamaqua and surrounding communities were called to 309 West Broad Street at around 6:30 a.m. for reported smoke in a structure.

When firemen arrived, they noticed smoke emanating from the home. After evacuating the home, they determined the cause to be a malfunctioning furnace.

A female occupant of the home was treated on scene by paramedics and stayed at the neighbor's house during the response.

Responding in addition to firefighters were Tamaqua Police and Tamaqua Ambulance. Tamaqua fire police directed traffic around the area during the response.

No serious injuries were reported.