A New Ringgold man who led Rush Township Police on a high speed chase Monday afternoon is facing charges of fleeing from police and driving while intoxicated and with a suspended license.

Police documents filed with Magisterial District Justice Stephen J. Bayer, Tamaqua, accuse Raymond G. Anderson, 32, of Schuylkill Road, with driving his Nissan Altima at a speed in excess of 100 miles per hour.

The criminal complaint states that Rush Township Corporal Duane E. Frederick was about to enter Claremont Avenue (State Route 309) from Plaza Drive in Hometown in his police vehicle when Anderson sped past him. Frederick said he activated his visual and audible police signals, but Anderson began driving at an even greater speed.

Anderson allegedly continued to flee Frederick for several miles on SR 309 into Kline Township, pulling off the road into the Van Hoeklen greenhouse parking lot and coming back onto 309, where he crossed over the two northbound lanes and median and continued fleeing southbound on 309 for a short distance.

During the chase, Anderson ran several drivers off of the roadway, according to the arrest affidavit.

When Anderson finally stopped, he was taken into custody without incident. Frederick noticed a strong odor of alcohol emitting from Anderson, and the defendent was transported back to the Rush Township Police Station for a breath test.

Anderson consented to the test, which gave him a Blood Alcohol Count (BAC) reading of .181 percent at 3:35 p.m.

Frederick charged Anderson with fleeing or attempting to elude police, which is a felony, as well as two counts of DUI, including general impairment and driving at at the highest rate of alcohol (exceeding .16 percent).

Frederick was also charged with driving while his operating privileges are suspended or revoked and with reckless driving.

During Anderson's arraignment before Bayer, Frederick stated Anderson's license may have been suspended for medical reasons. Anderson stated he is on disability due to memory loss and nerve damage and last worked three years ago, to his knowledge.

Anderson said he had no previous criminal history, save for an adolescent disorderly conduct charge from a school fight. He said that once he saw Frederick's police lights, he did the U-turn and got out of his car.

Both Frederick and Patrolman Brian Thompson said Anderson did cooperate with police once he was stopped, although they admitted the defendant did mention having a problem with alcohol in the past.

Bayer set a tentative preliminary hearing date of Oct. 23 for Anderson and established an unsecured bail at $25,000, allowing Anderson to leave under the condition that he stay alcohol-free and must leave any restaurant serving alcohol by 7 p.m. Any further violation would cause Bayer to invoke full bail or imprisonment.