No one could dispute that in 1910, the Rev. Father Francis Brady was much-beloved by his congregation at St. Jerome's Church in Tamaqua.
His 17-year tenure at St. Jerome's was the longest of his coal region assignments and, in January 1910, the parishioners showed their appreciation by surprising him with a special evening event to mark his 25th year in the priesthood.
The congregation presented him with a purse with $800 in gold for his service, which at the time was seen as a most generous gift. With today's currency rate of exchange, it was a whopping sum of money.