A Polk Township man died as a result of a fire at his residence in Polk Township Tuesday evening.

William Berry, 69, of 1287 Mountain Road, was pronounced dead at the scene by Monroe County Coroner Robert Allen. His wife was admitted to Palmerton Hospital.

Her first name, her condition, and the extent of her injuries are not known.

Allen pronounced Berry dead at 9:51 p.m.

Allen said the cause of death is smoke inhalation.

A granddaughter, Kolonni Dennis, helped her grandmother out of the house.

Several cats and dogs were rescued.

The house is located in an isolated wooded area of Polk Township and is not close to any other homes.

Neighbors heard cries for help.

Michelle Storm was staying with friends Larry and Jade Mannella, neighbors of Berry.

She said she had her bedroom window open and heard screaming.

Storm told Jade about the screaming and she stepped out on her balcony.

"It sounded like a scream of pain," Jade Mannella said.

Mannella and her husband got into their car and drove to the Berry home. They said they saw smoke coming from the roof and flames from the kitchen area, and a young woman trying to use a garden hose.

"I believe it was the granddaughter. She was trying to get back into the house through a window, saying she had to get to her grandfather," Mannella said.

Mannella called 911 at 8:17 p.m.

The dispatcher told Mannella to prevent the young woman from entering the house.

"It was just moments before someone arrived. They responded very quickly," she said.

The Mannellas said they didn't know the family other than to say hello and wave to them when they passed or when Berry walked his dog.

"I'm so sorry for the family. It's just an awful thing," Mannella said.

State police fire marshal Shawn Hilbert ruled the cause accidental.

Firefighters from several communities responded.