A Polk Township man died as a result of a fire at his residence in Polk Township early Tuesday evening.

William Perry, 69, of 1287 Mountain Road, was pronounced dead at the scene by Monroe County Coroner Robert Allen.

Allen pronounced Perry dead at 9:51 p.m. The coroner said Perry was already removed from the burning home by firefighters.

Perry's wife was admitted to Palmerton Hospital.

A granddaughter, Kolonni Dennis, got her grandmother out of the residence.

Dennis was not injured, Allen said.

Several cats and dogs were rescued.

State police fire marshal Shawn Hilbert ruled the cause accidental.

Firefighters from several communities responded.