Aquashicola Volunteer Fire Company's 85-year history:
1929-water mains laid with hydrants in Towamensing Township and a volunteer fire department formed. Aquashicola firemen responded to fires on Front and Mill streets as far as their hoses would reach from fire hydrants. They relied heavily on assistance from Towamensing Township Fire Co. #1 (also known as Palmerton Fire Department).
1949-A Thanksgiving Day fire claimed three lives and sparked an interest for an organized fire company.
1951-Fire chiefs George Samok of Palmerton and Corvin Solt of Lehighton helped AFC purchase a 1927 American LaFrance fire engine from Stroud Township Fire Company for $500. Chief Samok offered to train the AFC members, creating a bond between the two fire companies which still exists today. The LaFrance was housed in Harry Bartholomew's gas station. A siren was erected on the roof of George's Plumbing and Heating building.
1956-A fire house was built. It housed an engine room and social hall.
1962-It only took six years to satisfy the mortgage, thanks to support, and a 1962 American LaFrance was purchased
1969-The first addition was built, engines moved to it and the older part was now strictly the social hall
1985-A second addition was built
2002-Began the process to purchase adjacent house
2014-Will demolish that house as soon as weather allows for additional parking lot