Lehighton Fire Companies responded to a fire Friday night at 208 N. Third St., Lehighton.

According to resident Paris Cooks, he was preparing dinner for his family when a grease fire started in the kitchen.

Cooks said that the fire spread quickly and he got his wife and two children out of the residence and called 9-1-1.

Firefighters had doused the fire and were ventilating smoke from the residence at about 10 p.m. Friday.

The other side of the duplex, 210 N. Third St., received smoke and water damage.

Lehighton Fire Chief Gary Frable was busy at the scene and unavailable for comment at press time.

Assisting the Lehighton Fire Department was the Franklin Township Fire Department, Lehighton Ambulance, Lehighton police, and local fire police.