SCHUYLKILL HAVEN – This month's local TV report by Senator David G. Argall (R-29) features the Senator's annual student government seminar with local high school students at Penn State's Schuylkill Campus.
Students from Blue Mountain, Hamburg Area, Lehighton Area, Mahanoy Area, Marian, Minersville, North Schuylkill, Pottsville Area, Saint Clair, Schuylkill Haven, Tamaqua Area and Tri-Valley became "Senators" for a day. The event allows students to get firsthand experience of the inner workings of the state legislature, where they serve as members of a legislative committee, debate and vote on mock legislation.
Sen. Argall says the experience brings textbooks to life.
"The opportunity for students to debate current issues I debate in Harrisburg is a unique experience," Argall said. "We bring in legislative staff as well as representatives from several organizations to generate debate."
During the 30-minute television program, students debate a wide-variety of issues, including property tax reform, privatization of the state-owned liquor stores, fees for school's extracurricular activities, among others.
With many of the students interested in pursuing college degrees and careers in government, Argall believes the event is valuable for the students and their teachers alike to see how the legislative process works.
The program will air on:
· Blue Ridge Communications (Channel 13) every Monday at 10 a.m. and every Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.
· Comcast On-Demand on Channel 1 – Get Local – Government – State Senate.
· Reading (Channel 21) and Hamburg (Channel 19) every Monday at 3 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and every Tuesday at 9 a.m.
· Service Electric (Channel 19) the second and fourth Wednesday at 7 p.m.
· The program is available on Berks Community Television, Shen-Heights TV, Hazleton's WLYN TV 35 and MetroCast Communications Channel 10. Please check local listings for air times.
Senator Argall's report is also available online at www.SenatorArgall.com.