Those who have not yet submitted their favorite recipes for the annual TIMES NEWS Cookbook and Recipe Contest will have a few extra days to do so.
While the deadline has been extended from Sunday, March 10 to Tuesday, March 12 at midnight, you still don't want to wait until the last minute.
The recipes are arriving every day and we are getting excited to sift through them and determine our winners.
This year there are six categories and a first place prize winner will be chosen in each category. Those categories are: Main Dish; Vegetarian; Breads, Biscuits and Muffins; Soups, Stews and Chili; Christmas Cookies; and Dessert.
The winner of each category will receive a prize valued at $100 and will be featured in our 26th annual cookbook, Recipes from our Readers, with their recipe, photo and a brief biography.
Each winner will also be invited to bring their prepared winning dish to the TIMES NEWS office in Mahoning Township, where a panel of judges will sample each dish to determine a grand prize winner, who will receive an additional $300 in prizes, including a $200 grocery store gift card and a $100 restaurant gift card.
In addition, everyone's a winner as each entrant will also receive a TIMES NEWS rubber jar opener, shaped like a daisy.
There is no time like the present to get ready to flex your creative muscles, as recipes must be original, and must have been created or modified by the contestant or a member of the contestant's family.
Remember, the new deadline is Tuesday, March 12 at midnight. You may mail your recipe to the TIMES NEWS, P.O. Box 239, Lehighton, PA 18235; Attention Donna Hall.
You may also email recipes to: email@example.com, or drop them off at our office in Mahoning Township on Route 443, or one of our satellite offices in Palmerton, Lansford or Tamaqua.
Category winners will be notified by Friday, March 15. The final judging is tentatively set for Monday, March 18.
1. Written entries will be judged for completeness, clarity of recipe and originality. In case of duplicate recipe entries, the one with the earliest postmark will be entered.
2. The same recipe may not be entered in more than one category. Categories must be clearly marked on each entry.
3. Recipes must be created or modified by the contestant or a member of the contestant's family. Recipes previously published in a copyrighted publication are not eligible.
4. Only one entry per category will qualify as a winner and only one winner per household.
5. Professional food preparers and/or purveyors are not eligible to enter. Pencor and TIMES NEWS employees and family members are not eligible to win prizes. Advertisers who submit recipes in the name of their business are not eligible for prizes.
6. All recipes become the property of the TIMES NEWS, which reserves the right to publish the entry along with the entrant's identity for prizes.
7. Winners will be notified by phone and all prizes are final. No exchanges or refunds will be made.
8. No purchase is necessary.
9. To enter, each recipe should be neatly printed or typed on an 8 1/2-inch by 11-inch sheet of paper, and must include (on the same sheet of paper) the name, address and phone number of the entrant, as well as the category.
10. Those who have won a prize in the cookbook contest in the last two years (2012 and 2011) are welcome to submit recipes for publication, but are not eligible to win a prize this year.