A newspaper delivery person notified authorities after seeing a thick cloud of dark smoke coming from the chimney of 358 Mush Dahl Road in West Penn just after 7 a.m. Sunday. A passing motorist, also a Mahoning Valley firefighter, heard the call over the scanner and responded, waking the family. After noticing dark smoke filling the basement, the firefighter turned off the oil burner. West Penn firefighters responded and placed large fans at various entry and exit points to the home. Penn Mahoning and Lehighton ambulance also responded and offered care. No serious injuries were reported. Firefighters on scene stated this incident could have ended tragically if no one noticed it in time.
Newspaper delivery person alerts authorities to smoke in home
Monday, January 7, 2013