There were anxious moments at the Switchback Mini Market in Summit Hill Saturday afternoon, when an SUV burst into flames near the business.

The engine compartment of the vehicle, a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, was engulfed in flames when firefighters responded at about 5:45 p.m.

The fire was extinguished by members of the Summit Hill Fire Department, without incident.

The vehicle is owned by Charles Eis of Nesquehoning. Eis said he was ascending the White Bear Hill (Route 902) when he smelled something burning, then saw smoke coming from beneath the hood. He said his dash gauges didn't indicate anything overheating.

He pulled in front of the Lehighton Ambulance Garage, next to the mini mart, and saw there were flames under the hood of the vehicle.

The flames were leaping high into the air when the first fire apparatus pulled up to the scene.

A clerk at the convenience market, which sells gasoline, saw that fluid from the burning vehicle was flowing downhill toward the business. She immediately shut off the gasoline pumps, fearing a trail of fire might be created. The fire was contained strictly to the vehicle.

Eis said he purchased the vehicle in December.

Assisting the fire department at the scene were members of the Lansford Police Department, who assisted Summit Hill Police; Summit Hill Fire Police, and members of Lehighton Ambulance Association.

There were no injuries.