"I give credit to the anonymous neighbor for putting a quick stop to the fire," said Tom Hartz, Tamaqua Fire Chief. Emergency responders were called to 402 Spruce St. just after 2 p.m. yesterday for a report of a stove fire involving cooking oil. When police and firefighters arrived they noticed a neighbor using a fire extinguisher inside the kitchen of the smoke-filled home to put out the fire. The home is owned by Roland Bankes and lived in by Sandra Cavello and two pets. Responding in addition to police, were American Hose, Citizen's and East End fire companies and Tamaqua ambulance. Fire Police directed traffic away from the scene. The neighbor, police and firefighters limited the fire damage to the kitchen, which suffered considerable damage to the wall, stove, carpet and ceiling. Police officer Mike Hobbs, who was second on scene, also stressed the brave response by the neighbor. No serious injuries were reported.
Tamaqua neighbor, police quick to help neighbors
Friday, May 4, 2012