By Bob urban
A happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone. But go easy on the green beer today. Keep the day festive, but don't go overboard.
But before you start celebrating, how about giving your brain a morning workout. Try to solve this teaser.
See if you can determine what these seven words all have in common. ( No, I didn't get it right).
In all of the words listed, if you take the first letter, place it at the end of the word, and then spell the word backwards, it will be the same word. It's easy once you're told the answer.
And a few more thoughts for lexophiles, in case you didn't get a column that ran several weeks ago.
The roundest knight at king Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian.
She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering.
Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.
A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said: 'Keep off the Grass.'
A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said, 'No change yet.'
The soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.
Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
Now here's a riddle for smart people, most of whom read this column. Only five percent of Standford University graduates figured it out. Can you answer all seven of the following questions
with the same word?
1. The word has seven letters....
2. Preceded God...
3. Greater than God...
4. More Evil than the devil...
5. All poor people have it...
6. Wealthy people need it....
7. If you eat it, you will die.
Did you figure it out?
Try hard before looking at the answers
The Answer is:
NOTHING has 7 letters.
NOTHING preceded God.
NOTHING is greater than God.
NOTHING is more Evil than the devil.
All poor people have NOTHING.
Wealthy people need NOTHING.
If you eat NOTHING, you will die..
More facts that are stranger than fiction:
- Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left handed people do.
- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
- If the population of China walked past you in single line, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction
- China has more English speakers than the United States.
- Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.
- Each square inch of human skin consists of twenty feet of blood vessels.
- An average person uses the bathroom six times per day.
- Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood we have only 206 in our bodies.
- Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body. If the average man never trimmed his beard, it would grow to nearly 30 feet long in his Lifetime.
- According to Genesis 1:20-22, the chicken came before the egg.
- The longest place name still in use is: Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteaturi- Pukakpikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu - a New Zealand hill.
- If you leave Tokyo by plane at 7 a.m., you will arrive in Honolulu at Approximately 4:30 p.m. the previous day.
- Scientists in Australia 's Parkes Observatory thought they had positive proof of alien life, when they began picking up radio-waves from space. However, after investigation, the radio emissions were traced to a microwave in the building.
- Wearing headphones for an hour increases the bacteria in your ear 700 times.
- More than 40,000 parasites and 250 types of bacteria are exchanged during a French kiss.
- Men can read smaller print better than women, but women can hear better.
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
- The name of all the continents ends with the same letter that they start with.
- There are two credit cards for every person in the United States
- TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
- You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
- It is impossible to lick your elbow.
- People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond. Also,it was believed in olden times that the sneeze expelled an evil spirit.