This year's first quarterly meeting of the Pennsylvania Game Commission board of game commissioners will be held Sunday-Tuesday, Jan. 22-24, in the auditorium of the agency's Harrisburg headquarters, 2001 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg, with the main agenda item being the setting of preliminary seasons and bag limits for the 2012-13 hunting and trapping seasons.
Sunday, beginning at 1 p.m., the board will hear public recommendations and doors will open at noon for individuals to register. Public testimony is limited to five minutes and individuals will be taken in order.
Monday, the board will gather any additional public comments and hear PGC staff reports beginning at 8:30 a.m., with doors opening at 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, beginning at 8:30 a.m., the agency will take up its prepared agenda to give preliminary approval to hunting and trapping seasons and bag limits and establish other meeting dates for the 2012-13 license year.
A webcast of the meeting, beginning with the PGC staff report Monday and Tuesday's session, will be posted on the agency's website at www.pgc.state.pa.us .
Pennsylvania Game Commission executive director Carl Roe will appear on PCN-TV Call-In Program, Thursday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m. Viewers of the hour-long program can call in questions to PCN toll-free at 1-877-726-5001.
This year's Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs and Pennsylvania Wildlife Federation Junior Conservation Contests have the theme "Autumn in the Pennsylvania Outdoors" in photographs and artwork. Designed to encourage creative expression and an appreciation and understanding of the outdoors world, the contests once again are open to students in grades 4-12 who live in Pennsylvania, and entries will be separated into grade groups: 4 to 6; 7 to 9; and 10 to 12. A $75 first-place prize will be awarded in each grade group, other cash prizes will be presented for second- and third-place entries.
Age groups and prizes will be the same as the poster contest, and winner will be announced at the PFSC's spring convention banquet, March 24, in Scranton. Winning entries will be displayed at the convention and used throughout the year on the PFSC website and other promotional items.
For a complete PFSC Art Poster/Photo Contest submission packet, contact the PFSC office, 2426 North Second St., Harrisburg 17110, call 717-232-3480 or e-mail email@example.com . Entries should be mailed to the same address by February 12.
This week's edition of "Experience The Outdoors," hosted by award-winning Pennsylvania Outdoor Writers Association member Doyle Dietz, Sunday, at 7 a.m. on 1410 WLSH and 9:30 a.m. on Magic 105.5, will feature an the first of a two-part interview with Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show promoter Chris O'Hara.
A trap shoot will be held, Thursday, Jan. 26, beginning at 6 p.m., at Orwigsburg Gun Club, Gun Club Road, off Route 443 East, Orwigsburg. For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
South End Field and Stream, Morea Road, Frackville, will hold its "Winter Rabbit Hunt," Saturday, Jan. 28. For information and required preregistration, call the club at 570- 874-1108 or Ed Rudzinski at 570-874-3746.
Outdoors Sports Shows
* Early Bird Sports Expo, Thursday-Sunday, Jan. 27-30, Bloomsburg Fairgrounds, Bloomsburg. Hours: Thursday, 4-9 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. For information, access the website at www.earlybirdsportsexpo.com.
* 18th Century Artisan Show, Friday and Saturday, Feb. 3 and 4, Country Cupboard, Lewisburg. Hours: Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For information, call John Getz at 570-658-7263 or Art DeCamp at 814-643-6343.
* Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 4-12, Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, 2300 North Cameron St., Harrisburg. Hours: Sundays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturdays and Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. For information and tickets, access the website at www.easternsportshow.com.
* Lancaster Muzzle Loading Rifle Association Gun Show, Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 4 and 5, Lancaster Farm and Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Road, Lancaster. Hours: Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For information, call Jim Kleppinger at 717-368-4653.
* Sportsman's Show and Flea Market, Saturday, Feb. 11, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Farmer's Market, Leesport. For information, contact Ralph Reber at 610-944-9376 or access the website at www.ralphsfishing.com.
* Greater Philadelphia Outdoor Sports Show, Thursday-Sunday, Feb. 16-19, Greater Philadelphia Expo Center, Oaks. Show hours: Thursday, 1–9 p.m.; Friday, 12:30–9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. For information and tickets, access the website at www.sportshows.com.