A family of five and their pets are displaced after a fire ripped through their home's walls and spread to the attic Sunday evening at 654 S. Kennedy Drive (SR309), in McAdoo.

The home was occupied by the Yost family. The owner of the property is Robert Kalinchok of Hazleton.

The home is part of a duplex, attached to 656 S. Kennedy Drive. Two people at that address, including Gali McNeil, are also displaced due to electrical concerns. Both families are tenants and were in the process of moving.

The fire, which occurred during the telecast of the Super Bowl, was quick to spread, as the entire street was filled with smoke and the home's walls were glowing orange from the fire.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 30 minutes.

Witnesses on scene pointed out that the fire company had the ladder truck staged and water on the fire within five minutes of the alarm, stressing that all the responding firefighters saved the home. The attached home suffered fire, water, smoke and heat damage to all floors. Fire officials pointed out many electrical violations that could have caused the fire, which appeared to start around the electrical box in the basement.

One thing noted by firefighters was the use of a garden hose as electrical insulation.

McAdoo Fire Chief Gene Rosato, pointed out the great response from all firefighters.

Responding were McAdoo Fire Company, Keystone Fire Company, West Hazleton Fire Company, Hometown Fire Company, Delano Fire Company, Tresckow Fire Company, Beaver Meadows, Hazle Township, Mahanoy City Rapid Intervention Team and police from McAdoo and Kline Township. APTS Rehab and McAdoo Ambulance responded.

PPL Electric responded to cut the power. PennDOT also responded afterward to spread salt over the frozen street. McAdoo Fire Police closed that part of SR309 for the duration. Volunteers with the Red Cross also responded to provide support to the families.

No serious injuries were reported.