Hometown Fire Chief Barry Messerschmidt credited Kline Township Police officer Kevin Ruby and firefighters for saving a home last night in Hometown.

Around 7:30 p.m. Monday, emergency personnel were called to 509 Ben Titus Road in Hometown for a working house fire. When police and firefighters arrived, they could see very heavy smoke emanating from all areas of the home.

Officer Ruby, who was on patrol on SR309 when the call came out, was one of the first to respond. After arriving on scene, Ruby, who is also a firefighter in Hazleton, put on a mask and entered the smoke-filled home, where he extinguished the downstairs fire.

Firefighters said the fire, which had spread to the ceiling of the basement, started from a dryer. Firefighters placed fans at multiple exit points to expel the thick smoke. PPL also shut off power to the home. The residents are staying with family until power is restored.

Responding in addition to Rush and Kline Township Police were firefighters from McAdoo, Hometown, Hazle Township, Quakake, Delano and others.

Tamaqua Rescue Squad, Ryan Township Rescue and McAdoo Ambulance also responded. Hometown and Quakake fire police detoured traffic around the area for the duration. No serious injuries were reported.