If the recent storms and flooding associated with Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee affected your income, you may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance; however, time is running out.
You can apply by calling 1-877-345-3382 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Individuals needing text telephone (TTY) can call toll free (888)334-4046.
Have your Social Security number, earnings from your most recent tax year, and employment history available when you call.
Filing deadlines are:
*Oct. 14, 2011, for the following counties: Adams, Bradford, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Lycoming, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Schuylkill, Snyder, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Union, Wyoming, and York.
*Oct. 27, 2011, for these counties: Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Northampton, and Philadelphia.
To be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA), individuals must:
· Not be eligible for regular unemployment insurance;
· Be unemployed as a direct result of the disaster;
· Be able and available for work, unless injured as a direct result of the disaster;
· File an application for DUA within 30 days of the date of the announcement of availability of DUA; and
· Have not refused an offer of employment in a suitable position.
You must also have exhausted state unemployment eligibility and worked or lived in a designated county.
Benefits are administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry through a partnership with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Disaster unemployment can extend for up to 26 weeks from the day the disaster is declared.