A quick response by firefighters and police, and even a little bit of luck, helped prevent a fiery disaster at a home located at 251 Lafayette Street in Tamaqua following a oven fire that started around 7 p.m. Monday evening.

Home owner Judi Miller stated, "Firefighters were running up from the alley, side streets and responded within only seconds of the call." Fire Chief Tom Hartz Jr. pointed out that the Citizen's Fire Company had just pulled out of their garage to take part in their weekly training when the call came out. Firefighters Dave Price Jr. and Jarrett Reigel, running to the scene on foot, were the first firefighters on scene to extinguished the flames.

The fire, which was limited to the kitchen area, was reported to have started after the family turned their oven on, not knowing they accidentally left a pizza box in the oven. Two cats and two dogs were also pulled from the home during the response.

American Hose Company Chief Jim Connelly credited fellow firefighters for their quick response. Fans were also placed at the home to remove the smoke.

A witness and appreciative neighbor pointed out that firefighters were on scene and in the house within seconds of the call. Also in the house were Samantha Miller, 16, and Dave Kotansky. Besides breathing in a lot of smoke, no serious injuries were reported.

Fire police closed Lafayette Street for the duration. Miller stressed her appreciation by stating, "All the firefighters were truly amazing for arriving so fast and saving my home."