Franklin Township supervisors opened up the June meeting on Tuesday night with a check presentation of $30,000 to Bruce Wolfe, fire chief, of the Franklin Township Volunteer Fire Company.

Wolfe said that the fire company has a hardship situation because the tanker is out of service. Wolfe said that the tanker is presently being evaluated to see if it was worth repairing or not. He said that Franklin Township residents do not have to worry about not having a tanker available because he has asked Mahoning Township and Parryville to respond with Franklin Township if there is a house fire.

"We were hoping to wait a year or two to replace the tanker," said Wolfe. "We didn't want to put ourselves that deep in debt."Wolfe said the fire company still has two years to pay on a piece of equipment and were not prepared to replace the tanker until that loan was satisfied.

Wolfe was not optimistic that the repairs to the tanker will be cost effective.

Wolfe also asked supervisors to schedule a meeting with the fire company so that each entity will know what is expected of them, plus to give the supervisors an opportunity to see the fire company's financial records.

Supervisors then listened to the complaints of Irena Bezak who asked supervisors for help with a neighbor issue. She said her neighbor burns everything, including vacuum cleaners, diapers and plastic in a burn barrel that fouls the air every day. She said her neighbor never uses the municipal garbage service because he burns everything.

She said that he burns clothing, clippings from his wife's dog grooming business and anything else he can find.

"I know what wood smoke smells like and paper doesn't smell," she said. She said he starts burning at 5 a.m. and allows the barrel to smolder all day long.

"I came here for the peace and quiet and I can't sit outside," said Bezak. "I am a prisoner of my home."

Supervisors did adopt a burning ordinance in August 2006 that regulates when residents are allowed to set fires in containers and in open areas.

The ordinance regulates when and where fires can occur. The ordinance also regulates the time when fires must be extinguished. No fires will be allowed to burn past 10 p.m. All domestic fires will be required to be confined to closed containers and may not be closer than 25 feet to a home or 15 feet from an outbuilding.

Sandra Gaumer, secretary, said that the burning ordinance was adopted for safety reasons, not to prevent noxious fumes.

Rod Green, chairman, and Matt Neeb, zoning officer, agreed to meet with her neighbor to offer him alternatives to the constant burning that she is complaining about.

Supervisors also adopted a resolution that declared a disaster emergency on May 23 when an EF-0 tornado swept through the township, destroying the home of Bill and Stephanie Wittig and damaging several other properties, including the roof of St. Matthew's Church on Church Street.