A cigarette is believed to have started a dwelling fire in Palmerton Monday morning.
The Palmerton Fire Department was dispatched to the half-double home at 154 Lafayette Avenue shortly after 11 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, smoke could be seen from the steps of the front porch of the half-double, where a sign read for rent on the front window at 154 Lafayette.
The fire was extinguished within about 20 minutes. No injuries were reported. The fire caused minor damage to the front porch.
Fire Chief Dennis Behler said a "poorly discarded cigarette" was believed to be the cause of the fire.
Assistant fire Chief Larry Zawaly said the cigarette was believed to have rolled into the crack between the front steps, which caused the dry wood to catch on fire.
The Aquashicola Fire Department and Palmerton Police Department also assisted at the scene.